It looks like more than just Granny Screens is tuning into Hallmark Channels annual Countdown to Christmas!
Last month the network was the most watched on cable for females in both the 18–49 and 25–54 demo.
Estimated ad revenue in 2017:
1) Hallmark Channel: $390M
2) Hallmark Movies and Mysteries: $146M
Viewership comparison for prime time on November 26th:
1) Sunday Night Football (NBC): 19.0M
2) Switched for Christmas (Hallmark): 5.2M
Our guess is that the rights fees for Switched for Christmas were less than 1/3of what NBC paid to air Sunday Night Football that week!
Below is a sampling of the movies available during the holidays:
Big ratings during the holiday season are extremely valuable due to additional spending from the retail sector.
Estimated ad spend by retail sector during the holiday season:
1) 2016: $604.5M
2) 2017: $667.1M (↑ 10%)
Top spenders during the holiday season (2017 increase):
1) Walmart: $84.2M (↑ 16%)
2) Target: $67.2M (↑ 7%)
3) Kohl’s: $33.2M (↑ 10%)
4) JC Penney: $32.6M (↑ 19%)
5) Kay Jewelers: $32.5M (↑ 1%)
Other interesting findings from Kantar Media:
1) 55% of consumers planned to finish shopping by 12/20
2) 126m consumers remain in-market for holiday gifts
3) 42% of the remaining consumers had not decided what to buy
4) 6% are shopping right up until Christmas Eve